Last night, husband and I had friends over for our (now annual) Halloween dinner. We did this the week leading up to Halloween in 2014, and it only seemed fitting that we do the same this year. Like last October, we opted for pizza with orange and grape soda (for the festiveness). But, this year we made some tweaks, choosing to go with pre-made dough from Sal's (amazing/a must try!) and serving up salad as a side. We added dessert too; dirt cake for the win!
The gals made the pizzas while catching up, and the guys hung out with our newest member, sweet baby Layla. Before everyone showed up, husband and I put the salad together, sans the dressing and feta so that it wouldn't get soggy. When it was time to eat, we merely tossed it up and poured the dressing over it. The feta we left off so that people could add it for themselves. The Autumn Chopped Salad was such a delicious hit that I knew I needed to share it today with you!
- What You'll Need
- 2 large heads of romaine lettuce
- 2 medium, green pears
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 11 slices of bacon
- 4 oz feta cheese
- 2/3 cup poppy seed salad dressing
- 1/3 cup Newman's Own Light Balsamic Vinaigrette
- What You'll Do
- Cook the bacon, pat away the grease, and crumble up.
- Wash then chop the romaine lettuce. Set aside in a bowl.
- Wash and dice the pears into small chunks. Add to the lettuce along with the bacon.
- Add the dried cranberries, pomegranate arils, and pecans.
- Toss well and set aside until ready to serve.
- In a measuring cup, combine the 2/3 cup poppy seed dressing with the 1/3 cup balsamic vinaigrette. Stir with a spoon until thoroughly combined.
- Once you are ready to eat the salad, pour the dressing over it and mix until everything is evenly coated.
- If you prefer less dressing, add it slowly until you reach your desired preference.
Go make this salad ASAP! You won't regret it!
This recipe was adapted and slightly tweaked from this original recipe by Madison Hofmeyer.