I love a special and fancy drink to make a casual day a little more fabulous. During this pregnancy I have found myself craving carbonated beverages and juice. With the holiday season in full swing, it only seemed fitting to take the things I was craving and combine them with the flavors of the season. And from that, this pregnancy-friendly mulled apple cranberry sangria was born! I couldn't have been happier with how it turned out!
- What You'll Need
- 3 packets of mulling spice (I used Kauffman's)
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1 gala apple
- 1 1/4 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 pear (I just went with a green one)
- 6 cups apple cider
- 1 bottle Martinelli's Sparkling Apple Cranberry (chilled)
- Fresh rosemary sprigs
- Turbinado raw sugar
- What You'll Do
- In a pot, bring the apple cider to a low simmer. Then add the bags of mulling spice. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- While the cider is mulling, chop up the apples and pear. After the cider has mulled for the 5 minutes, add the chopped fruit and cranberries to the pot. Place a lid on it and remove from the heat. Let sit for 2 hours.
- After the 2 hours have passed. transfer the juice to a pitcher and place in the refrigerator for another 2 hours or longer to chill.
- In the meantime, dip a sprig of rosemary into a bowl of cold water. Sprinkle the raw sugar over the sprig, turning it to coat evenly. The place on a plate. Repeat this step for as many sprigs of rosemary that you have. Store in the fridge.
- For your serving glasses, dip a glass at a time into the cold water bowl. Dip about 1/4-1/2 inch deep. Then immediately dip the wet rim into a bowl filled with the raw sugar. Repeat this step for all of your glasses. Set aside.
- Once you are ready to serve the chilled cider, pour in 3/4 of the bottle of the chilled Martinelli's Sparkling Apple Cranberry. Stir well.
- Pour the sangria mix into your prepared cups. With a spoon scoop out the fruit and put it carefully into the cups.
- Lastly, place your sugar-coated rosemary sprig.
Letting the cider soak in the mulling spices gives the drink a strong and flavorful taste without being too much. Kauffman's mulling spices are the perfect combination of cinnamon, cloves, orange, and allspice. The spices of the seasons, right?! Especially when you are combing the cider with another flavored juice, a little extra boldness never hurts.
A bonus for this pregnant gal, the mulled spices contain no caffeine or added sugar!
And just like that you have a fabulous drink for a regular day or for a special get together! Cheers!
Disclosure: I am partnering with Kauffman’s Fruit Farm as a blog ambassador. I have received these Kauffman’s Fruit Farm products for free; however, all opinions remain my own.