I haven't had the time nor the energy to bake for weeks prior to Greer's arrival. And lately, I've been missing it. So in between feedings and naps today I jumped in the kitchen to try my hand at making a braided danish. It only took me three hours from start to finish. No, it wasn't because it was complicated, in fact it was easy. It just had a lot to do with time outs for nursing, rocking, cuddling, and cooing.
So if you're looking for a quick way to put together a fancy breakfast danish or just something sweet for dessert, this recipe is your friend! And it tastes even better than it looks in the photos! My apologies if your New Year's resolution was to leave the sweets behind. This just may be worth cheating a bit ;)
- What You'll Need
- Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets
- 8 oz block of cream cheese (softened)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 TSP vanilla extract
- Boysenberry Jam (I used Kauffman's)\
- What You'll Do
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Let the puff pastry sheets completely thaw. Once thawed, spread them out on a cutting board or flat surface, opening up the tri-fold.
- With a knife cut each side of the fold (not the middle) into 1/2" strips. These will be your braids. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine the softened cream cheese, sugar, vanilla extract, and egg yolk. I just creamed it by hand with a spoon (wouldn't dare use a blender to wake the sleeping babe next to me).
- Once the cream cheese mixture is well combined, use a plastic icing spatula to spread it down the middle column of the puff pastry. Cover it entirely and make it as thick as you want.
- Next, add the jam. Before spooning it out, use the spoon to help soften it, which will make it spread easier.
- After the jam has been spread out evenly, beginning braiding the dough. Start with a 1/2" slice of dough from the left side and bring it over the middle at a slight angle. Then do so with a slice of dough from the right side. Repeat until entirely braided.
- Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.