I love to be in the kitchen baking. There's something magical about it. I'm not sure if it's the aromas, the anticipation, or taste-testing the batter along the way that brings me so much joy. I'm thinking it's a combination of them all.
I especially love baking for special ocassions, and this Sunday is one of those sweet holidays that deserves an extra fabulous kind of dessert. However, as a new mama who will now be celebrated on this day, I have to admit I don't really want to be in the kitchen at all on Sunday. But I do want a tasty treat to share with my mama, and sometimes there is nothing I love more than a make-ahead recipe. So let me present to you the Chocolate Butter Cookie. Because who doesn't love chocolate, a super simple recipe, and a dessert that can be dressed up or down?!
- What You'll Need
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 package of cream cheese
- 1 box of devil's food cake mix
- 1 TSP vanilla
- 1 egg
- Powdered sugar
- What You'll Do
- Let the butter and cream cheese soften. If you're like me, you will put them in the microwave for a few seconds to help the process along.
- Mix the butter, cream cheese, cake mix, vanilla, and egg together.
- Cover the mixing bowl with saran wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least three hours.Sometimes I will make the dough the night before and bake them the next day.
- After the dough has been in the fridge and stiffened up, roll it into balls about the size of a tablespoon.
- Put the powdered sugar in a separate bowl. Roll the dough balls in, completely coating it.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes.
- Dress the cookies up with any number of toppings. I went with Strawberries and lemon zest.
Warning, these cookies are DELICIOUS!! You will consume one or three more than you originally intended! What dessert will you be whipping up for Mother's Day?